Activate your career in the people profession
Foundation membership starts to build your credibility. It shows you’re serious about your development and that you have a strong base of knowledge to build on. Once you’ve successfully completed your CIPD Level 3 Foundation Certificate in People Practice you become a Foundation Member and can use the designation 'Foundation CIPD'.
Working at Foundation grade means you have a direct impact on daily operations. You’re using your knowledge to perform an effective tactical role that supports others in your organisation including your manager, colleagues and customers.
This grade is for you if:
- You complete the CIPD Level 3 Foundation Certificate in People Practice
- You’re beginning to build your experience in people practice, or looking for your first role in the people profession.
- You’re carrying out varied tactical and administrative work for your immediate colleagues and customers.
- You’re applying your knowledge of people practices to your work.
- You’re performing day-to-day tasks, such as answering queries, booking people onto training, or gathering information to support people programmes.
When you’re a Foundation Member, you can use the designation Foundation CIPD after your name.
The Foundation Member grade is aligned with the corresponding level in the Profession Map.
How to become a Foundation Member:
You will gain Foundation Membership upon successful completion of a Foundation Certificate in People Practice.
We also have Academic Membership grades for academics and researchers working in the field of HR and L&D.
To recognise exceptional leaders, we have a Chartered Companion grade which is the highest level of recognition awarded by the CIPD. Following a nomination process, the CIPD Board selects individuals to enter this grade.
Ensure your career in HR or learning and development is as rewarding as it can be with the CIPD. Take a look at our current membership fees.
Use the membership standards to identify if a membership grade is right for you.