Get the professional edge
Reward your achievements and experience in the people profession with Chartered Membership. It’s a visible sign of your ability to lead strategic thinking, drive change and create value for your organisation.
Whether you’re looking to move up, move on, or set up on your own, your CIPD designation opens the door to new opportunities in the people profession, and it inspires confidence in employers and clients and is an asset for your future career.
At Chartered Member grade you’re using your expertise and knowledge to make informed decisions and to influence others, and you’re delivering positive change through people solutions.
This grade could be for you if…
- You have experience working at Chartered Member level for a minimum of one year within the last five years.
- You are an experienced people professional who is working operationally while thinking strategically.
- You deliver people solutions that drive change within organisations and/or the profession.
- You’ll lead the thinking in your area of people practice, using in-depth knowledge of your organisation to inform people strategy.
- You’ll be aware of the wider impact of your work on other people approaches in your organisation, and its impact on business practices and goals.
- You’ll influence and collaborate with a wide range of people including your immediate colleagues, other people professionals and stakeholders across your organisation.
- You can provide insight and perspective on relevant business trends outside the organisation, and in the people profession as a whole.
- You’ll evaluate, question and assess information from a range of sources to make evidence-based judgements and decisions.
When you’re a Chartered Member, you can use the designation Chartered MCIPD after your name.
The Chartered Member grade is aligned with the corresponding level in the Profession Map. If you are interested in becoming a Chartered Member via Experience Assessment or upgrading. Use our membership standards to determine if this is the right membership grade for you.
Three options to become a Chartered Member:
3. Upgrade your membership
If you're an existing Associate Member and hold a CIPD Advanced Diploma, you may be eligible to upgrade to Chartered Member, depending on your professional experience.
We also have Academic membership grades for academics and researchers working in the field of HR and L&D.
To recognise exceptional leaders, we have a Chartered Companion grade which is the highest level of recognition awarded by the CIPD. Following a nomination process, the CIPD Board selects individuals to enter this grade.
Ensure your career in HR or learning and development is as rewarding as it can be with the CIPD. Take a look at our current membership fees.
Use the membership standards to identify if a membership grade is right for you.