Inclusion and diversity is about creating inclusive environments and practices where employees can be themselves, are valued for their differences, and be supported to work at their best.
What does an equality, inclusion and diversity specialist do?
We define inclusion as welcoming all people, regardless of their personal, physical or social characteristics. It’s about creating a sense of belonging where everyone is valued, respected for their own unique identity. Diversity is about recognising that each person is unique, and understanding their differences. Harnessing these differences creates a productive environment in which everybody feels valued, their talents are fully utilised, and organisational and personal goals are met.
Done brilliantly, inclusion and diversity goes beyond the basic legislative and compliance requirements; it's about creating an environment where difference is embraced and individuals can flourish.
Inclusion and diversity (or I&D) specialists are key influencers in the organisation, often working with senior leaders to gain their commitment to initiatives which create long-term value for organisations. When delivered in an integrated way, inclusion and diversity creates value to both organisations and wider society. Being able to evidence this value is key to gaining buy-in from stakeholders.
Video: The time has come to be serious about diversity.
At high speed rail network HS2, Mark Lomas is making inclusion integral to every single part of the business model – and he hopes initiatives such as blind recruitment and reverse mentoring will kickstart a revolution.
Your typical activities
Here are some of the activities you can expect to be involved in as a inclusion and diversity specialist:
- Providing analysis and expert advice on how diverse mainstream people practices are
- Diversity assessments of wider organisational practices and processes
- Creating diversity networks to ensure all groups have a voice in the organisation
- Creating positive action interventions to support under‐represented groups
- Coaching and upskilling managers and employees on the value of diversity
- Creating diversity analytics to understand and track performance in the organisation, including legislative requirements
- Celebrating diversity through organised events and awareness sessions.
Types of roles in inclusion and diversity
Here is a shortlist of the types of job titles you might find in inclusion and diversity. As you can see, inclusion and diversity specialists are at all levels of experience and seniority:
- Inclusion and Diversity Advisor
- Inclusion and Diversity Specialist
- Inclusion and Diversity Manager
- Head of Inclusion and Diversity
- Director of Inclusion and Diversity.
Develop your knowledge in Equality, diversity and inclusion
Find your perfect job in HR, L&D or any other area of the people professionBrowse jobs